Due to Facebook getting into some hot water for data sharing back in 2018, they've really started limiting the amount of data they're willing to share with social media listening apps like Nuvi and it's an industry-wide issue.
However, we are constantly working to improve and increase the amount of data we pull from Facebook and Instagram so we are excited to introduce a few more changes that will allow you to do so.
Keep reading to learn how to start pulling in more data from Facebook into your Monitors.
Authorizing Your Account
The first step will be authorizing your Facebook/Instagram accounts for Listening.
You will sign in via your personal Facebook account, but data collection will only be authorized on the public business pages you are connected to via admin permissions. If you are connected to multiple pages, you will be able to pick and choose which ones you want to integrate.
Your Instagram account must be linked to the associated Facebook account for it to pull through.
- To do this, navigate to the Listen Pop-Out on the left-hand side of your screen, then select "Integrations."
- From there, you will be taken to the page shown above. Then, select "+Authorize Account" at the top right-hand corner.
- Select the accounts you would like to authorize. (Both Facebook and any linked Instagram accounts will be authorized all at once.) Finish by clicking "Confirm."
Add Accounts To Your Watchlist
Facebook's current API only allows social listening platforms to monitor public business pages only. To pull information from Facebook, we must send Facebook a list of the accounts that we want to be monitoring.
Because of this, it's necessary for you to set up a "watchlist" of specific accounts that you would like to pull information from. For every account that you authorize, you receive 1 token. This token allows you to add 30 pages to your "watchlist" and pull mentions from those pages. For 2 tokens (or two authorized accounts), you can add 60 accounts - and so on.
A good starting place would be to look at partners, local news outlets, or other pages that post frequently about you.
To set up your watchlist:
- Select the 3 dots under the "Action" column, next to the account you want to set up a watchlist for.
- Enter the accounts handle (do not include the "@" sign) and press enter. Pressing enter will enter the account into the watchlist and allow you to input another.
- Enter up to 30 public business pages per account.
- It is likely that the more pages you monitor, the less mentions you will pull from each.
When pages are entered, they will be color-coded for your convenience. The three colors are green, white, and red. Here's what they mean:
- Green - Represents the most recent page you've entered. When a page is entered, it will automatically be sorted alphabetically. Your most recent entry will be colored green to help you keep track of where you are at. (Green entries are only green immediately after they are entered. Once the user closes that modal and opens it back up, anything that was green will be white.)
- White - Represents all valid page entries on your watchlist. It can also represent pages that have not yet been queried and are waiting to be pulled from. (Sometimes there is a slight time delay between when an entry is made and when data is pulled.)
- Red - When a page turns red, it means that our system has attempted to query that page, and no data was received. A few examples of why this may happen are: a page that's not public or a page with no mentions. It's always a good idea to check your "watchlist" periodically to make sure it is up to date and querying what you need.
Set Up Your Monitor Rules
Creating a Watchlist alone will not cause your monitors to automatically populate with Facebook data. Your Monitor rules must be created in a specific way to allow this data to pull through. Keep reading to learn how to set them up.
- Identify which public pages you would like to pull in data from for the monitor you are setting up. These pages must also be included in your "watchlist."
- Hop into your monitor rules by clicking Edit Monitor and click on +Add New Rule Group. Once you're there, select Social Profiles from the drop-down menu, select Facebook, and type in the handle of the public pages you want to monitor. (Be sure to leave out the @, the sign will automatically be added once you click save.) If you have more than one, separate by commas. Click Save.
- Click on Add Rule and copy and paste your keyword list into the new rule. (If you're using a language rule be sure to include Unknown with your other languages, this will help pull in hashtags.) Click Save. Feel free to add any other rules at this time as well and you're done!
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How frequently does Nuvi pull data from Facebook?
Answer: Nuvi pulls the data all day, every day, and as frequently as Facebook permits. It technically comes in batches, usually at least every minute. However, the more Facebook pages you add to your watchlist and monitor(s), the more spaced out the queries for each one become.
For instance, if you have 1 Facebook page on your watchlist and monitor(s),Nuvi can query it at a high frequency (around once per minute). If you have 30 Facebook pages, they each get queried 1/30 of the time (around once every 30 minutes). That's simply the restrictions of the data supplier.
For more information on how Facebook Lawsuits impact social listening, click here.
Please sign in to leave a comment.