Due to Facebook getting into some hot water for data sharing back in 2018, they've really started limiting the amount of data they're willing to share with social media listening apps like Nuvi and it's an industry-wide issue.
However, we are constantly working to improve and increase the amount of data we pull from Facebook and Instagram so we are excited to introduce a few more changes that will allow you to do so.
Keep reading to learn how to start pulling in more data from Instagram into your Monitors.
Authorizing Your Account
The first step will be authorizing your Facebook/Instagram accounts for Listening.
You will sign in via your personal Facebook account, but data collection will only be authorized on the public business pages you are connected to via admin permissions. If you are connected to multiple pages, you will be able to pick and choose which ones you want to integrate.
Your Instagram account must be linked to the associated Facebook account for it to pull through.
- To do this, navigate to the Listen Pop-Out on the left-hand side of your screen, then select "Integrations."
- From there, you will be taken to the page shown above. Then, select "+Authorize Account" at the top right-hand corner.
- Select the accounts you would like to authorize. (Both Facebook and any linked Instagram accounts will be authorized all at once.) Finish by clicking "Confirm."
Add Hashtag(s) To Your Watchlist
To set up your watchlist:
- Select the 3 dots under the "Action" column, next to the account you want to set up a watchlist for.
- Enter up to 30 hashtags (per account). Be mindful that the more hashtags entered, the less data Instagram’s API may collect in the monitor. So exercise discretion when considering which hashtag(s) to query.
- If you fill your "watchlist" and then make additional changes to it afterward, changes can take up to 7 business days to take effect per Instagram's API. Once again, it is also likely that the more hashtags you monitor, the less data you will pull from each.
When hashtags are entered, they will be color-coded for your convenience. The three colors are green, white, and red. Here's what they mean:
- Green - Represents the most recent hashtag you've entered. When a hashtag is entered, it will automatically be sorted alphabetically. Your most recent entry will be colored green to help you keep track of where you are at. (Green entries are only green immediately after they are entered. Once the user closes that modal and opens it back up, anything that was green will be white.)
- White - Represents all valid hashtag entries on your watchlist. It can also represent hashtags that have not yet been queried and are waiting to be pulled from. (Sometimes there is a slight time delay between when an entry is made and when data is pulled.)
- Red - When a hashtag turns red, it means that our system has attempted to query that hashtag and no data was received. Please go here to learn more about how to resolve your red hashtag(s). Lastly, it's always a good idea to check your "watchlist" periodically to make sure it is up to date and querying what you need.
Set Up Your Monitor Rules
Creating a Watchlist alone will not cause your monitors to automatically populate with Instagram data. Your Monitor rules must be created in a specific way to allow this data to pull through. Keep reading to learn how to set them up.
- Hashtags - Instagram now only allows the monitoring of hashtags. When setting up your rules, ensure that you include as many hashtag variations as possible. These hashtags must be included in your "watchlist" to be able to pull into the monitor.
- Locations - Instagram has blocked social listening platforms from seeing the location of an Instagram post. This means that if you have a location rule within your rule group, this can block Instagram mentions from being pulled in.
- Languages - If you are adding a language rule, be sure to include “Unknown”. This will pull in any languages that cannot be detected by a browser - including hashtags and emojis.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Why are my watchlist hashtags crossed out in red?
Answer: Go here to learn more.
Question: How frequently does Nuvi pull data from Instagram?
Answer: Nuvi pulls the data all day, every day, and as frequently as Instagram permits. It technically comes in batches, usually at least every minute. However, the more hashtags you add to your watchlist and monitor(s), the more spaced out the queries for each one become.
For instance, if you have 1 hashtag on your watchlist and monitor(s), Nuvi can query it a high frequency (around once per minute). If you have 30 hashtags, they each get queried 1/30 of the time (around once every 30 minutes). That's simply the restrictions of the data supplier.
Question: What if I need to limit by location?
Answer: Our suggestion would be to set up one rule group like you regularly would using keywords, locations, etc, and a second rule group that includes only hashtags and the Instagram network:
You can refine the Instagram rule group even further by adding location hashtags as a second “words” rule:
Please feel free to reach out to your client success manager or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.